Vegan Root Vegetable Stew
A comforting dish that will satisfy vegans, flexitarians, and canivores alike. A very versatile menu solution!
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) Vegetable oil
- 250 mL (1 cup) Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 500 mL (2 cups) Turnip, peeled and chopped
- 500 mL (2 cups) Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 L (4 cups) Potatoes, washed and diced
- 500 mL (2 cups) Green lentils, dry
- 1.5 L (6 cups) LUDA H Brown gravy, prepared
- 375 mL (1-1/2 cups) Water
- 10 mL (2 tsp) LUDA H Vegetable soup base, dry mix
- 4 Bay leaves
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) Red wine vinegar
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Fresh Parsley, washed, pat dry, and chopped
- In a dutch oven or pot with a thick bottom, sauté the onions in the vegetable oil on medium heat until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute or two, until fragrant.
- Add the turnips, carrots, and potatoes, and sauté for about 5 minutes to allow for flavours to develop.
- Add the lentils, brown gravy, season with the vegetable soup base and mix well.
- Add the bay leaves and let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently and adding water when it gets too thick.
- When the lentils are done, turn off the heat, add the red wine vinegar and mix well.
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
One bowl contains all the nutrients that your guests need; sprinkle with parsley and serve with a piece of baguette.