Pumpkin and Maple Syrup Bisque
A great showcase of a autumn vegetable with a hint of sweetness from the maple syrup.
- 3 L (12 cups) LUDA H Vegetable soup base
- 150 g (5 oz) Butter
- 300 g (10 oz) Shallots, diced
- 1.5 kg (3 lbs) Pumpkin, peeled, and chopped into rough cubes
- 200 mL (7/8 cup) Maple syrup
- 500 mL (2 cups) Half and half, warmed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 mL (1 tsp) Cumin powder
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) Cinnamon powder
- Whipped cream, garnish
- Chives, finely sliced, to taste
- Prepare the vegetable soup base according to the package directions.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter, add the shallots and pumpkin and sweat for 3-4 minutes.
- Place the pumpkin and shallot in a braising pan and roast in 350°F oven until the pumpkin is “al dente”.
- Pour the maple syrup over the pumpkin and shallots and continue cooking until the pumpkin is tender.
- Put the pumpkin mixture back into the pot and add the vegetable stock, let the soup simmer until the pumpkin has broken down.
- Purée the mixture to a fine consistency using a hand blender or a vertical food processor.
- Add the cream and season with salt, pepper, cumin and cinnamon.
- Garnish with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and finely chopped chives.
Portion the soup into shooter glasses and serve as a fun canapé.